The NSW Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority (ILGA) gave Crown the green light to open the Sydney operation last month, saying it would closely monitor the casino’s initial operations.
Crown described its new gaming facility as “intimate”, featuring “two luxurious VIP gaming floors” and exclusive private salons.
The two floors will be named the Crystal Room and Mahogany Room — with the Crystal Room gaming floor opening on August 8 with Mahogany Room set to open at a later date.
The gaming floor will only be open to VIP members and their guests.
Crown Sydney CEO Simon McGrath said there would be 160 gaming tables and 70 electronic table games.
“We are committed to delivering a safe and responsible gaming environment for all, and Crown Sydney’s restricted gaming facility has been designed with the highest levels of governance and compliance,” he said.
“It is the only casino of its kind in Australia, with all patrons required to be a member or guest of a member and undergo comprehensive checks.”
Last year, ILGA found the gambling giant unfit to hold a gaming licence for the casino at Barangaroo after a months-long public inquiry, which exposed allegations of money laundering.
But Crown had rebuilt its gaming model from the ground up, which has meant deep structural change around governance, anti-money laundering measures and corporate culture, ILGA chair Philip Crawford said in June.
Mr Crawford said granting a conditional licence would allow the ILGA to “keep a very close eye” on Crown, adding it granted a conditional licence because it had still not found the company “suitable”.
“We want to see them operate,” he said.
“We want to see that happening, so we’ve retained that independent monitor role.
Crown Resorts made new commitments in order to open the casino.
It agreed to pay a portion of the costs of last year’s inquiry as well as a casino supervision levy, ceased all international junket partnerships, adopted a cashless gaming model and phased out indoor smoking.
US private equity group Blackstone took control of Crown on June 24 after the Federal Court approved its $8.9 billion takeover bid.