Stevens (STRS Consultants), and Roy Morgan Research, investigated the impact of electronic gaming machine late-night gambling on EGM gambler behaviours and looked to understand the player profile of those engaging in late-night play.
- Late-night EGM gamblers (12am-8am) made up 11.6% of all EGM gamblers. They were more intense gamblers (participation and behaviours) and significantly more likely to be experiencing problem gambling. The later into the early hours of the morning (i.e., after 2am, and after 4am), the higher the problem gambling risk became,
- Venue closures would limit access and reduce harm for late-night EGM gamblers,
- Recreational EGM gamblers would be very minimally affected by venue closures,
- Most EGM gamblers who experienced venue closure and wanted to continue EGM gambling, did not go onto another venue (72.5%), and
- Just over a quarter (28%) of late-night gamblers were late-night-workers.
Download a copy of the report here >>> Impact of electronic gaming machine (EGM) late night play on EGM player behaviours – May 2023 (nsw.gov.au)