Entries to the NSW Sommelier Awards are now open and sommeliers and bar/beverage managers from a Sydney or regional NSW venue are invited to compete.
Wine lists from restaurants, wine bars, pubs, hotels and clubs are all welcomed, whether big or small.
To be considered, lists need to include wines from local winemakers, highlighting the quality and diversity of wines being produced in NSW. Venues that enter the awards will be assessed using criteria including wine list content, presentation, educational content, selection, food and wine matching, service and NSW wine representation.
President of the NSW Wine Industry Association, organiser of these awards, Mark Bourne says: “These Awards are part of the partnership between the NSW wine industry and NSW government, created to grow demand for local wines. A partnership that has seen an unprecedented level of support provided to NSW sommeliers and restaurants over the last two years.
Entrants are in the running to win the coveted title of 2023 NSW Sommelier’s Wine List of the Year in one of seven different categories.
Along with a stunning trophy some great prizes are also up for grabs, including:
- All finalists receive the title of #nswwinestar, a certificate and promotional material to help share the good news
- 1 of 4 exclusive food and wine trips to some of NSW’s best wine regions
- 2 x Coravin Pivot wine preservation systems (one for you and one for your venue!)
- Complimentary entry into Australia’s Wine List of the Year Awards
- Admittance into the Chaine Des Rotisseurs Young Sommeliers Competition, where you will have a chance to compete for the right to represent Australia
- A drinks glass consultation plus a $2000 premium glass fit out from Riedel
In 2022 Matt Underwood from The Newcastle Club, in Newcastle won the Best NSW Wine List in a Club venue category, with The Bowral Bowling Club, Tattersalls Club Sydney and Singletons Diggers all close competitors. Matt won a trip around the Mudgee wine region, including accommodation, a food and wine matching experience and a range of expertly guided winery tours. While this category is not included this year clubs, long term supporters of Australian wine makers, can still enter one of seven other categories.
Entry is free and easy, via a simple online form. Sommeliers and restaurant/bar/beverage managers have until 11.59pm on 20 April to enter the Awards online.
For more information:
2023 NSW Sommeliers Wine List Awards Flyer >>>https://thedrop.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/2023-NSW-Sommelier-s-Wine-List-Awards-Flyer.pdf
Winners in 2022 Best NSW Wine List in a Club venue >>>> https://thedrop.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/3_2022_NSWSommeliersWineListAwards_winners-1.pdf